Great,
        I checked out
/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/valve.html#Access%20Log%20Valve. An Access Log
Valve is what is needed here I think. I saw no reference to syntax
however, and to where the valve is placed? I wish to capture access to
ALL contexts, for a single engine. Where do I tell the server about the
valve? conf/web.xml? Syntax? Where might this information be located
please?

Thanks

Paul.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/logger.html