I have a customer who is running Tomcat 4.1.27. We have been having a
problem when using SSL (running the site on port 443). Periodically the
server will stop responding on 443, but not on port 80. Restarting the
Tomcat server is required to restore functionality.

We are also looking at the possibility of using the standard Apache HTTP
server as a front-end, and using tomcat as a JSP backend server.

I have been asked to try to find someone, "an expert at Tomcat," that
could help out my customer in planning their implementation, and possibly
figuring out the SSL hanging issue in the meantime. Is there anyone that
may be able to help?

Specs:

Tomcat 4.1.27, Sun JDK 1.4.2, Red Hat Linux 9

thanks,
Randy