Hi,

I'm trying to understand why regardless of whether or not a particular version of
Xerces is present in a webapp's WEB-INF/lib, the version in Tomcat's common/lib is
always picked up. With other simple classes sharing the same namespace that I have
used to test this, the version in the webapp is correctly picked up.

I suspect that this is something to do with the fact that Xerces usage internally by
Tomcat which loads it in the parent classloader, but I would appreciate someone
providing me with the full logical explanation.

On a related note, if the behaviour is such that webapps are tied into the version of
Xerces in common/endorsed, that's not such a problem because this location is
configurable. However, other classes such as JDBC drivers are documented as being
supposed to reside in common/lib, which would present a problem when having a standard
build supporting many different applications with different dependencies. However, a
solution to this seems to be to rely on the placing of such libraries in the endorsed
directory, which can be configured.

This appears to work, but I would just like to check whether there is anything wrong
with this approach. If common/lib must be used, then that would effectively mean that
applications team would have to create "fake" builds of Tomcat using symlinks so that
they could place the versions of dependencies that they required in common/lib.

All answers much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kosh

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com