Howdy,
As long as you keep the initial context reference inside a method, and
not a class member variable, you'll be fine, especially if all you're
doing is just getting one resource (the DataSource) out of it.  The
initial context will then go out of scope and be garbage collected,
freeing up its resources, when the method exits.

If you have the context as a member variable or in a long-lived method,
closing it is a good idea.

Regardless, closing it can't do harm.  It doesn't do that much good
either, but at least it can't do harm ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Does
>this need to be explicitly closed in developer code?  Will
not-closing-it
>create memory leaks?  The reason i ask is because i came across example
of
>closing context in that Wrox book, "Professional Apache Tomcat", as
>follows:
>
>initCtx.close();  // closed after conn is closed (see Wrox, p.327)
>
>-paul lomack

and notify the sender.  Thank you.