I'm jumping in late but ...

1) Since its a multiprocessor machine, what happens if your "turn it into a single processor" machine
2) Does this happen one other machines of other os's?
3) Does the same thing with apache in front?

In any case above -I have no clue - but thats what I'd do to debug.

A possible culprit could JVM multiprocessor race condition.

-Tim

David Morris wrote:
I agree it is odd. We do not have any filters defined and this is a
pretty simple JSP page that is 32K. There is no database interaction and
very little processing going on to service the request. This is running
on a fairly capable multi-processor iSeries system. In this case we see
response times that grow disproportionately to the size of the response.
We see almost no CPU activity for these requests, it is all a wait on
that socket read. There could be a comm problem but the http connector
is using the same underlying comm support.

Thanks,

David Morris