Howdy,
I just answered this question on log4j-user.
<sarcastic>Thanks for cross-posting</sarcastic>

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.<init>(Digester.java:346)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.createStartDigester(Catalina.jav
>a:280)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:441)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>        at
>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
>java:39)
>        at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
>sorImpl.java:25)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
>Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No
>suitable
>Log
> constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1a679b7 for
>org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4
>JLogger
>        at
>org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogF
>actoryImpl.java:432)
>        at
>org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactory
>Impl.java:525)
>        ... 12 more
>Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Logger
>        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>        at
java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1590)

and notify the sender.  Thank you.