Howdy,
So the same tomcat version and same JDK version on different platforms
yield different results? ;)  That's a shocker...  There have been
discussions on this list in the past regarding the unreliability (is
that a noun??) of the top command on linux.  You can search the archives
for more details.

You can use Runtime#totalMemory and the likes to measure heap memory
usage in a platform-independent way.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

So,
>placed the following line in the file catalina.sh:
>
>  JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx400m"
>
>I shut down tomcat, reboot linux, and started tomcat.  I executed the
>command
>top to verify the memory is actually being used up by tomcat.  Here is
the
>result of the top command:
>
>CPU states:  0.5% user,  8.7% system,  0.0% nice, 90.7% idle
>Mem:   384716K av,  183864K used,  200852K free,       0K shrd,
18980K
>buff
>Swap:  257000K av,   28672K used,  228328K free
59340K
>cached
>
>If you noticed, memory usage is less than the 256MB that I specified.
If
>you
>consider that other processes are also running, tomcat is not consuming
the
>initial 256MB that I specified in the JAVA_OPTS.  I thought maybe the
start
>command for tomcat is worry.  So, I ran a ps on the tomcat process and
got
>the
>following:
>
>UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
>root      6982     1  0 15:11 pts/1    00:00:11 /var/app/java/bin/java
-
>Xms256m -Xmx400m -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/var/app/tomcat/bin:/v
>
>I think this showed the executed command to start tomcat is correct.  I
am
>not
>sure what is going on.  Is the top command not returning an accurate
>reading?
>Am I forgot to do something here?  By the way, I also tried
CATALINA_OPTS
>instead of JAVA_OPTS and got the same result.
>
>Here is the strange thing.  When I used the JAVA_OPTS with tomcat
4.1.27
>running on Windows2000 server and Sun's JDK 1.4.1_01, tomcat is
actually
>consuming the initial memory that I specified in JAVA_OPTS.
>
>Does anybody have an idea?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Son

and notify the sender.  Thank you.