Ok. I don't know and wish not to know. (Prefer to see what the spec says with respect to threads and obey that)

At a minimum, tomcat obeys the spec with respect to thread usage. Tomcat will create the number of threads needed to serve the requests concurrently up to the configured limit. (minProcessors and maxProcessors)

As for shrinking the pool, I don't know if it gets done. It might be documented or someone else will answer that.

All threads are recycled in a thread pool to serve requests so the same thread may serve requests to any number of users (but not at the same time). And the same "user" may have his requests served by a different thread for each request.

Killing threads will not eliminate leaks. Needlessly keeping object references help create memory leaks.

-Tim

Josh G wrote:

Tim Funk wrote:

The lifespan of a thread or request?

-Tim

A thread. Like when does tomcat decide to create them, and when they're done servicing a request are they killed or simply put on hold back in the pool to wait for the next request? And if they're kept alive, how long before thet're cleaned up to avoid leaks?

That sort of thing.

Cheers,
-Josh