Howdy,

>I'm just starting to use Tomcat (4.1.27) and I'm trying to get my
existing
>app to work.  It worked fine with JRun, but it seems that Tomcat
requires
>that I specify the full package name for a class whenever I use it??
Is
>this true?

No, tomcat does not required that.  Tomcat follows the Java Language
Specification regarding package imports, as all servers should.

>For example,  I get, "cannot resolve symbol" for the following:
>------------------------------
>import com.fgic.Utility.*
>Utility util = new Utility();

You need a semicolon at the end of the import statement.  You also
probably mean import com.fgic.Utility; rather than import
com.fgic.Utility.*;

>------------------------------
>But when I change it like below, it works fine:
>
>import com.fgic.Utility.*
>com.fgic.Utility util = new com.fgic.Utility();

That's because your import statement is flawed.  I don't buy that the
above works fine as it shouldn't even compile.

>So does this means I have to go through all my code and specify the
full
>package name everywhere?

No.

>Note: in JRun, I didn't even have to specify the package name in the
import
>statement.  It was able to find it with just: import Utility.*

That's strange at best.

In general, you have to import classes you use, or use their fully
qualified name if you don't import them.

If you post the entire relevant piece of code along with the compilation
errors in full, we could help more.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.