As far as I know, the web.xml file is application specific, i.e. putting
those lines in your $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/<application name>/WEB-INF/web.xml
file should do the trick.

Personally, I use a perl script to generate the web.xml file from my source
directory and then use ANT to compile and deploy the application. I put all
the tweaks inside my perlscript so it adds it to web.xml. If you want it,
i'll send you a copy.

You should definitely take a look at the documentation for developing
applications for TomCat - see URL below.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/appdev/index.html

Regards,
Christopher Cato