You're right - it WAS a little dated (2001/2002
vintage).  I'll put the original back.

Yes, I run Tomcat as a Windows service.  I asked for
both stdout.log and stderr.log when I set up the
service.  Here's the script. - MOD

@echo off

rem Script for installing Tomcat 4.0.6 as a Windows
service
rem Michael O. Duffy Wed 23Jul2003

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" setlocal

    rem Change these for local environment
    set JAVA_HOME=C:\Tools\JDKs
    set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Tools\Tomcat\4.0.6-LE-jdk14
    set TOMCAT_HOME=%CATALINA_HOME%

    set SERVICE_NAME=Apache-Tomcat-4.0.6
    set
BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
    set STDOUT=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
    set STDERR=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

    echo Service name: %SERVICE_NAME%
    echo Java HOME   : %JAVA_HOME%
    echo Tomcat HOME : %TOMCAT_HOME%
    echo Bootstrap   : %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE%
    echo Output log  : %STDOUT%
    echo Error  log  : %STDERR%

    tomcat.exe -install %SERVICE_NAME%
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -server -Xms64m
-Xmx256m
-Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\endorsed
-start %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params start -stop
%BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params stop -out %STDOUT% -err
%STDERR%

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" endlocal