> It is obvious then that a space would be   or   since 32 is
> the ascii code for a space. Though i cannot quite figure out why you
> would want to escape a space...

I escape spaces and character entities in form fields; if you do the
following:
    <input name="x" size=20 maxlength=20 value="<%= someVal %>">
and someVal contains space characters (or worse, '>'), it won't display
properly.  If you escape the spaces, it will, and this is what I use the
method for.

If I'm emitting HTML where I know what it will be beforehand, I simply
include any appropriate character entities in my resource strings.