OK.  What I have found to be the issue is that you have to define a
context.  If you don't for some reason that given directory can run
jsp's and tag libraries fine, but the EL does not work in them.  The
setup I had was for a different host.  So I had only defined my base
context.  Then I had a jsp directory which had not been defined to be in
a context.  This directory was sitting parallel to my ROOT directory so
I have ROOT and jsp in the same directory.  I guess the confusing part
is the error messages.  If tomcat would say.  Context required to run
JSP or servlets I think that would help some of the questions.  Probably
more informative error messages to match what the setup requires.  Does
this sound like a good idea?

Wade