On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:54, epyonne wrote:
> IMHO, instead of one instance per developer, I think you should have one
> development server with one instance of Tomcat shared by the 3 developers.
> If each of them is working on individual project, each developer can has
> his/her own application directory in Tomcat.  And if they are working as a
> team on one project, you can use a version control software like CVS to
> control it.

Don't think I agree with this. We are always stopping and starting Tomcat in
our environment. We have four developers, each with their own database and
tomcat. We use CVS and do a intergration build every morning on all the
development machines to ensure no check ins have broken anything.

In terms of IDE - I have been using eclipse, other developers like jEdit, or
even - god forbid - vim. We don't use netbeans as if forces you to use a odd
directory structure. Our structure is something like

/project
/project/doc - documention
/project/bin - classes
/project/dist - for war file or jars
/project/jsp - jsp's
/project/model - business model
/project/src - source code.

Most tools can handle different paths for these things - probably netbeans can
too - but we found netbeans rather slow. We use mainly lightweight tools.
Also, "idea" deserves a mention, and although it costs it has some nice
refactoring features.

Sorry - don't want to start a general IDE flamewar, so this will be the last I
say on this subject :)