From: Adam Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 10/11/2003 11:12 PM Sonny Sukumar wrote:

Hi Adam,

Your first step was:

# keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

and your last step was:

# keytool -import trustcacerts -file public.crt -alias tomcat

So you used the same alias ("tomcat") for both the private key and the signed public key. This is what doesn't work for me, because when I import the signed public key using the same ("tomcat") alias, my private key gets overwritten. I've verified this using "keytool list -keystore ./.keystore"

I also have the root cert from GeoTrust in there with alias "root". The root cert is actually an Equifax cert valid from 1998 to 2018, but the GeoTrust tech support rep told me to use that one. Could this be the problem?

Other ideas?

Sorry, but I've no real experience with this myself. You've lost me there on the root alias. I was hoping someone else might jump in with some advice for you. Did you check the rest of the thread in the list archive?

Adam

No worries Adam, I solved the problem after all. keytool just lists the certs in a somewhat confusing way by default...so I thought my signed imported cert overwrote my private key when it really didn't, but was bundled with it under the same alias instead.

Thanks for your help,

Sonny