Thanks for your quick feedback.

So, according to the Servlet spec, I need to declare my resource needs in
web.xml; then it's up to the container to provide those resources, and the
spec says that is configured via <ResourceParams/> in the server's
configuration?  Or is that bit Tomcat specific as well?

I think the fact that I was using a GlobalNamingResource was clouding the
issue; if I wanted this DataSource to be available only to this app, I could
supply declaration in web.xml, and configuration in the <Context> OR both
the resource declaration and configuration in the <Context> (but the latter
would be non-portable).  Is this correct?

Thank you again.

-Sasha