Yup.  Pretty much what Dov says.  Unless you are a one-man-shop, then a MSDN
subscription is pretty expensive.  And even then, your clients will still
have to purchase licenses for any MS components that are required (since you
can't (legally) redistribute what you've got from MSDN).

"Dov Rosenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Contrary to what you think, a MSDN subscription doesn't mean that everything
is free for the company. MSDN is licensed on a per developer basis. To be in
compliance with the MSDN subscription, each developer that will be using is
supposed to be licensed. All of the servers included in MSDN are developer
licensed servers. When you deploy a production application onto a different
machine you are required to purchase the proper licensing for the products
involved including SQL Server, Windows 2000/XP servers, exchange server,
etc. If the product is going to be deployed on an internet server, you must
purchase the appropriate unlimited use license.

A properly licensed production application can easily add $20,000 to the
overall project cost just using the "things" that come for free in a MSDN
subscription. Once MSFT starts enforcing their licensing a little tighter
you will suddenly see the cost/benefits of open source solutions.

Dov Rosenberg

On 10/13/03 6:05 PM, "Richard Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What portions of FPSE (FrontPage Server Extensions) requires registration?
> have not run into that before.
>
> So far my experience has been the oppsite. My job gets the MSDN Universal
> Subscription so VS is free along with all the platforms. In terms of going
> from ASP to ASP.NET, you have to change your thinking form the classical
> "script and go" method, to one of creating classes, methods and
properties.

> That is the main trick I have found. Both are interesting to me (JSP and
> .NET) but I find that in .NET there are certain things I can get done
faster
> (probably also cause my job has purchased the MSDN Universal :-) ). You
> could also use #Develop, Eclipse (has a plugin for C#) or WebMatrix if you
> need free IDE tools. And then there's Mono (http://www.go-mono-org/ ) for
> platform on *nix machines. It is not "final" but you can find out a lot
> about the platfdorm there too.
>
> But you know it just depends on the skills of the developers you have and
> your immediate needs. If you need wide platform adoption and your
developers
> are comfortable with Java, then Java is the way to go. .NET is just not
> there yet in the platform department. If you need to leverage a better
> (IMHO) webService platform, or need to get the most out of Windows
machines
> quickly with people who had previous experience in VB, then .NET is better
> for you. Just depends on you overall environment.
>
> Here (my job) people are mostly VB developers with a little C/C++
knowledge
> (the Perl guy left). I am probably one of the first well rounded
programmers
> they hired in years (I've done C/C++, VB, JavaScript, some Java, a little
> Perl, and some batch programming). Pretty much sit me in front of a
program,
> tell me what you need and give me the tools to do it, and I can get it
done.

> So for them .NET was the better move cause a lot of what they knew of VB
was
> still there to an extent. Just some changes underneath and a much larger
> library to work with.
>
> So good luck to you Eduardo, while not exactly what you would like, it
maybe
> something you can learn from and incorporate into your toolset :-)
>
> Richard Norman
>
> P.S. - Please no flames, just answering the question honestly with my
> opinion. I do like Java, but it did have some little things that I just
> wondered why they did the way the did.

That's
> a lot for me to fork over to start over with a completely different system
> that has limited uses. Fortunately, I didn't have to go that route, but it
> came close.
> Comparing that to continuing with Tomcat and Eclipse or NetBeans or
JCreator
> (free version), I can't see why anyone would choose to go the dot.net
route.
> MS has also done a powerplay on the folks that use Frontpage Extensions.
The