> I would suggest that you always run tomcat as the tomcat user, and
> make
> developer and root start it as the tomcat user.
> That can be easily done with a startup script instead of calling
> $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh directly or whatever it is.
> I would make sure that the directories all have the tomcat user as the
> owner and group, and then add root and developer to that group.

To help in this situation, you can also use the group permissions. I set up umask to
002 and added a sgid bit to all the CATALINA_BASE directories. This way, tomcat user
can always overwrite files even if they were created by another user.

Regarding modifying startup.sh, I suggest you use a wrapper like I mentioned before,
that manage all the environment variables and then call the out of the box startup.sh.
Much more portable when upgrading tomcat.

Hope this helps.

François.