In Tomcat 4.1.x, both CATALINA_OPTS and JAVA_OPTS do the same thing.
Settings placed in one would work the same if placed in the other.
Having the two allows you to be a little more organized by letting
you separate settings intended for the JVM from settings intended for
for the server.

In Tomcat 3.3.x, you only have TOMCAT_OPTS, but it does the same
thing as both of those above.

Cheers,
Larry