A file will be faster unless your file system is really crappy or you are writing to a nfs mounted or other remote filesystem. (Even then it will still probably faster).

IIRC, there is an ASyncronous appender which is a layer between your logging code and the real logger. What it does is queue up all writes so your application code can execute as quickly as possible. But it can only be configured via an XML file, not via properties files.

-Tim

Prabhat Kumar (IT) wrote:
I know that this is too generic a question, but we have a requirement to log informational messages in our application about why certain actions were performed or not. We are considering using either a FileAppender or a JDBCAppender. Which one do you think will be a faster operation under load? I guess one way to find out would be to actually try it out, but was wondering if you guys had thoughts about it.

Thanks,

Prabhat.