Interesting observation.  I think you might be onto
something, but let's explore it a bit further.

I'm using DBCP with a MySQL backend database.  I don't
really get why Tomcat would stop responding though
after several hours of idle time though.  You think
it's because after all those hours of idle time the #
of db connections is 0?  I thought the connection pool
could handle that and create a new connection when
needed.

I think I'm not understanding though...do enlighten
me. :-)

Thanks for your help,

Sonny