Have you set your JAVA_HOME environment variable to be your jdk install directory (with no trailing slash)?
The command the script is trying to execute seems to be missing a vital bit: <expanded_java_home>\bin\java.exe

HTH,

Jon

Giorgio Franceschetti wrote:
I'm trying to start Tomcat, but I'm receiving a strange error.
I'm using Win XP Java 1.4.2, Tomcat 4.1.27

Fist time I received the message: Cannot Find file "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=".
So I spent some time looking into the documentation and I decided to set a new variable JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS = %CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed.
This becouse this variable it's. used into the script (CATALINA.BAT) but it's never set up to any value.
I don't know if it' right, I cannot find any information about this variable into the running.txt, but, after that, I've received a new message error: "Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\OpenSource\tomcat\common\endorsed" (obviously %CATALINA_HOME=c:\OpenSource\tomcat).
So, I decided to change the script , only to try to understand what's happening. I deleted the "-Djava.endorsed.dirs="%JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS%" instruction.
Next time I received a new error: "Cannot find file: -classpath". By th way, -classpath is the instruction that immediately follow the one that I have cancelled.
This time I thought that the error was somewhere before that instruction.
I tryed to see which were the values that the script were using.
It was trying to execute a command like that: start "Tomcat" -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Applicativi-Open-Source\tomcat\common\endorsed -classpath C:\Applicativi-Open-Source\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=C:\Applicativi-Open-Source\tomcat -Dcatalina.home=C:\Applicativi-Open-Source\tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Applicativi-Open-Source\tomcat\temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

But now I don't know what more to do.
Thanks in advance for help.
 Giorgio