I knew what you meant. I was just playing along :)

I have noticed an excessive number of newlines in jsp pages though, when
everything in the jsp page gets resolved.

The strange thing is that whitespace shouldn't make a difference on how
most things get displayed in browsers, but they often do.

Oscar