Looking at the Red Hat 9 Release Notes, it seems that only JDKs prior to 1.4.1 fail. You are using 1.4.2, so you are not supposed to need the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting ;-)

The problem comes from a new implementation of the POSIX Thread Native Library. This new version corrects some deviances from the POSIX standard, so applications that rely on these differences will fail.

Regards,
Rodrigo

Christopher Schultz wrote:

All,

The newest version (4.1.29) should be fine. If I recall, however, there
was a problem with Sun's Java Virtual Machine, and RH9, which used an
incompatible threading library.

No, on RH 9, all VMs will actually need the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL env variable (look in the archives for the details on the problems and the workaround).

Is this accurate? I use RH9 with kernel 2.4.20/i686, JDK 1.4.2-b28 without any LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting (that I know of).

Is this for a specific kernel version or architecture?

-chris