On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

>Basically you are saying the problem is with reading these characters
>from files and databases. Is that correct?
Yes.

>When the problem occurs, does
>tomcat carry on handling incoming characters correctly? e.g. saving them
>to the DB or file correctly?
I will focus this detail the next time I can reproduce the problem.

>I mean, how does the problem manifest
>itself? In the browser, or the database or the logs or other files?

Basically the problem manifests in producing the html output.
i.e., the so far correct data from the DB or file are not getting encoded,
the browser gets ? instead of ä (for ä).
If this happens when filling forms with current values of some parameter,
the error indirectly finds its way into the DB or file.

>Which character set are you using? iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-15? You say
>you have your OS, your Java, appserver and database all set to use one
>of these, if I understand correctly. Presumably consistently the one or
>the other and not a mix?

AFAIK they are the same except the EURO symbol which we don't need so far.
Nevertheless, all components are supposed to use iso-8859-1.

>Is this app in production?
Yes.
The problem occurs in a new Application as well as in another which is
in production for 2 years now. (So far, we tried to notice the problem
each time it occurs and to correct eventual damages manually)

>What sort of load is it handling? I ask to
>see what the feasibility of changing the appserver is - try the 90 day
>trial of weblogic for instance. Does that suffer the problem too?
I don't think it's a general system problem.

The production site is a shared host server with about 200 virtual
webservers, about 50 of it use PHP4 (this includes comples CMS appps),
30 mysql, 20 Perl (including the Webmailer neomail); none of these
has a problem with these characters.

Btw., the problem also has occured on the development and on the test
system, both without any load.

>What about changing to IBM Java?

I am actually thinking about this, perhaps I just try.

>Or even from Linux to Windows?

Windows?
The server room has no Windows, it's underground ;->>>

Seriously, Windows is not an option, we need reliable, calculable and
trustworthy systems.

kr

Christoph Lechleitner