Laurent,
What about classes with static method and/or static attributes ?

Are they deleted from the old webapp ?

I don't believe that the VM ever releases resources taken up by Class objects (I think this includes static resources for a class). There used to be a VM option, -noclassgc, that was often used so that instance-less Classes wouldn't get GC'd. Almost everyone who ran Java apps turned that option on.

I'm not even sure if that option is still available. They may have simply eliminated the GC'ing of Class objects altogether.

I know that in my stock tc 4.1.27 on Sun's 1.4.2 VM, that after a re-load, all the old Class objects stick around. It's quite disconcerting because the heap grows by around 600 classes every time a context-reload occurs. The solution, of course, is not to enable context-reloading on production :)

-chris