My guess is you have some kind of job that runs at night that kicks or restarts your
dB server ??
See if restarting your MySQL server in the middle of the day produces the same results.
Anyway to make DBCP tolerant of the database dissapearing, try adding
autoReconnect=true to your jdbc url. As in :

jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/mydb?autoReconnect=true