Tim,
Thanks for your reply.    I do mean attributes.
I don't know much about JNDI. (excuse me if I don't know the correct
wording).

  I do have one little JNDI program which I copied and altered. It hits
active directory with an authorized connection name and OU and etc.  All
of which are hard-coded.  Then, I change context to another hardcoded
name and OU and can get certain attributes with that info. If I don't
specify an OU, I don't find what I'm looking for. The problem is that
when a user logs in, I don't know what their OU is.  Tomcat handles that
for me.  I don't know how to plug in the correct "path" in to a user's
data.  All I know is getRemoteUser and that 1 little piece of info isn't
enough to find a user's attributes with.  When I look in my logs, I can
see what DN tomcat followed to authenticate my user.  That hints to me
that I ought to be able to extract the "path" (DN?) to use.

All I know about JNDI, I've found out in the last 2 weeks.  If you have
some coding examples you would care to share.  I would greatly
appreciate it.  (I have seen the sun tutorial - it's incomplete where AD
is concerned)

Much appreciation
Robyne