Andreas,
Concerning my intentions, I do not want to preserve the session-state
between two logins or between more than one session for a given user. I want
to preserve the session-state between server-restarts in case of necessary
(but normally fast) maintenance operations (changes on certain class-files
etc.).

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. :)

What I would need is a way
to manipulate the list the internal table tomcat seems to be keeping of
sessionid->Principal mappings. Then I could use the deserialization of some
object as a hook to place the correct Principal where it really belongs.
Does anyone know how that could be accomplished?

I would think that if your session were serialized across a re-start, the session id would not change. In addition, the client (browser) would still send the same session id to the server. It seems like there should not be a problem, here.

Perhaps you have other things in your session that are not serializable?

-chris