Bryan,
I have looked everywhere for a solution. My custom tag displays it's content
once multiplied by the number of times the page has been refreshed. I when
looking for the reason and the closest mention concerns tag pooling. I don't
know if turning it off will solve this problem but I can not figure what I
should put into the web.xml to turn it off. Any help appreciated.

Are you obtaining information from, say, a database and displaying it? If so, are you taking care to re-set the results each time you gather that data?

If the code isn't that long, you might want to post it.

-chris