Hi:
 Tomcat newbie running:
Tomcat 4.1.27 on AIX 5.2 ML1, IBM's 131 JDK, and Sun's JSSE package.

JSSE_HOME is set to the location of Sun's JSSE jars

Keystore is created and server.xml adjusted accordingly (using self-signed
cert for now).

Lines in java.security (which only sysadmin has access to) looks like:
security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=com.ibm.crypto.provider.IBMJCA
security.provider.3=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.4=com.sun.rsajca.Provider
security.provider.5=com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE
security.provider.6=sun.security.jgss.SunProvider

Receive the following error on startup attempt:
 java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
        java.security.cert.X509Certificate: method
 getSubjectX500Principal()Ljavax/security/auth/x500/X500Principal; not
 found at
 com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.a(DashoA6275(Inlined
 Compiled Code)) at  [MORE...]

Do I need to have the sys admin re-order the security providers so that
IBM's provider is last?
Or, do I have to use IBM's JSSE package? I read in the archives that
earlier Tomcat versions require Sun's JSSE(?).

Hoping somebody can give me a clue before I ask the sys admin to edit the
java.security file again...

Just want to add that this worked fine when I tried it under Red Hat
8 so I'm fairly certain this is an IBM / Sun package problem.

Regards,
| Ryan Russo                       |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| University at Albany--Computing  |