Any help gratefully appreciated.

Installed (Apache 1.3.29, Tomcat 1.4.29, Mod_JK 1.2)

Examples can be accessed direct from tomcat ala
http://westernesse:4321/examples/servlets/index.html
<http://westernesse:4321/examples/servlets/index.html>
And also from Apache ala
http://westernesse:1234/examples/servlets/index.html
<http://westernesse:1234/examples/servlets/index.html>
So I think I understand what needs to be in place to pass between apache and
tomcat

I can see Apache is configured correctly to pass requests to servlet to
Tomcat as I am getting the following in the tomcat log:-

2003-11-21 00:30:31 StandardContext[/slink]: Mapping contextPath='/slink'
with requestURI='/slink/servlet/login' and relativeURI='/servlet/login'
2003-11-21 00:30:31 StandardContext[/slink]:  Mapped to servlet 'default'
with servlet path '/servlet/login' and path info 'null' and update=true

I tested with a plain html file in the context root - got the file back in
the browser via

2003-11-21 01:12:39 StandardContext[/slink]: Mapping contextPath='/slink'
with requestURI='/slink/index.html' and relativeURI='/index.html'
2003-11-21 01:12:39 StandardContext[/slink]:  Mapped to servlet 'default'
with servlet path '/index.html' and path info 'null' and update=true

What might cause a mapping to the default rather than the servlet in
question.

I checked the web.xml - contains a ref to the servlet in question

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
            login
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            slink.Authenticate
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>htmlHeader</param-name>

<param-value>/export/www/devel/htdocs/www-central/passwd-header.html</param-
value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>redirectURL</param-name>
            <param-value>/customer.html</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>

Context is configured as (I was passed this by someone else as a context
that worked with an earlier version of Tomcat - have I forgotten something
simple?):-

<Context path="/slink"
                docBase="/export/www/devel/apps/tomcat/webapps/slink"
                crossContext="false"
                debug="1"
                reloadable="true" >
</Context>

Key parts of server.xml are:-

 <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
  append="true"
  forwardAll="false"
  modJk="/export/www/devel/apps/apache/libexec/mod_jk.so"
  workersConfig="/export/www/devel/apps/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/conf"
   />

One issue I noticed is that on tomcat startup I get the following message. I
did read in the Tomcat docs that :-

        Tomcat 4 uses JMX MBeans as the technology for implementing
manageability of Tomcat.

        The descriptions of JMX MBeans for Catalina are in the
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.mbeans-descriptor.xml file.

        You will need to add MBean descriptions for your custom components
in order to avoid a "ManagedBean is not found" exception.

I couldn't see how and where this might be applicable though. Pointers
please.

[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 4321
ServerLifecycleListener: destroyMBeans: Throwable
javax.management.InstanceNotFoundException: MBeanServer cannot find MBean
with ObjectName
Catalina:type=Valve,sequence=5559915,path=/slink,host=localhost,service
=Tomcat-Standalone
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.findMBeanMetaData(MBeanServerImpl.java:528)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.unregisterMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:1165)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.destroyMBean(MBeanUtils.java:2289)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:930)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:1165)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:1114)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:1296)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:1268)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.destroyMBeans(ServerLifec
ycleListener.java:873)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(ServerLife
cycleListener.java:254)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
t.java:166)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2219)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:543)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Stoping http11 protocol on 4321
Catalina:type=ThreadPool,name=http4321
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 4321
ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: MBeanException
java.lang.Exception: ManagedBean is not found with Ajp13Connector
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:227)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.createMBeans(ServerLifecy
cleListener.java:402)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.createMBeans(ServerLifecy
cleListener.java:854)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.createMBeans(ServerLifecy
cleListener.java:828)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.createMBeans(ServerLifecy
cleListener.java:372)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(ServerLife
cycleListener.java:226)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
t.java:166)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2183)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.29

Simon

Simon Taylor