I'm no expert on Servlets so I'm not sure what's involved with all those
calls, but it doesn't seem like it could be anything that takes 500ms.

Have you tried running "top" while this is going on? You can set it to
update quickly so that you can see what's taking up the processor, if
anything. In particular, if it's a java thread (process) or Apache
process.

Are you compiling Apache and connector from source? Have you compiled a
new kernel? Have you done all the updates to Mandrake? In particular nptl,
gcc, glibc, and kernel.

I don't know if many people are using Opteron here. You are picking a
pretty new hardware architecture for your first Linux experience.  I'm
interested to see how many others have experience with this hardware.

Oscar