I bet your going down the wrong path for debugging, from the FAQ:

-- You have too many threads running. Some OS's have a limit to the number of threads which may be executed by a single process. (Which is what the JVM is.) Refer to your OS docs for more information on how to raise this threshold.

-Tim

Abhijeet Selukar wrote:

Hi,
I tried to increase the heap size to 1200 MB in catalina.sh file (JAVA_OPTS="-Xms64m
-Xmx1200m"), It didn't work. I was suggested one more way is to increase the server's
maximum file descriptor limit. But I don't know where to increase this limit. Apart from that,
is there any other way / utility to find out the root cause of OOM in catalina.out log file.

Abhijeet

----- Original Message ----- From: Tim Funk To: Tomcat Users List Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: OutOfMemory Error in Catalina

It may not be a leak ... http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/memory.html#why