thanks for your time Justin - I will look into this - T

-----Original Message-----
From: Hart, Justin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 November 2003 18:17
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Security Hole - server.xml

Well, right, but if you were to inherit from the realm that you wanted to use, you can
manipulate the password field in any way that you wish.

Unix password shadows are plantext, as are MD5 hashes.  All you do now is run MD5 over
the password field in the authenticate method, and viola, you have MD5 to store your
passwords with.

Justin