I was going to have really good fun at your expense, but it seems that the
nice big bold message that tells you to not use Solaris or Mac/OS tar has
gone away :-(.

However, that's the answer:  use the GNU gtar instead.

"tommy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am getting this error returned to my browser when accessing
http://10.1.1.1:8080/admin

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Cannot find message resources under key
org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
54)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

This is from an out-of-the-box install i.e. I downloaded Tomcat version
4.1.29.tar.gz from http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi then unzipped
and untarred the entire contents to my root directory.

I discovered that the reason for the error is that the servlet is unable to
find "org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationServlet.class"

Turns out the tar file "appears" to contains a lot of very long pathnames
which are truncated if they exceed 100 bytes e.g.

jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/classes/org/apache/webapp
/admin/ApplicationServle

I don't see a tar option that gets around this. Is this just my version of
tar that's doing this? Or is it a problem with the tar file? Could someone
verify it e.g. "tar tvf jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29.tar"