From: Nikola Milutinovic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03 December 2003 13:01
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Auto start scripts

Robin Rigby wrote:
> Have very limited experience of Linux or Tomcat.  Not even really sure
> if this is a Tomcat issue or a Linux issue.
>
> Main question:  How do I run a Tomcat4 script from /etc/rc.d/init.d so
> that Tomcat starts automatically?
>
> Tomcat works fine when I run startup.sh as root.  However, common
sense
> and many passing references on the mailing list suggest that root is
not
> the best choice.
>
> - What user do people normally use?
> - Should I create a user for the purpose?
> - What attributes and permissions should it have?
> - Is this related to the "tomcat" "tomcat" element in the default
> tomcat-users.xml?

I'd sugest:

- download TC-4.1.24 RPMs and install them
- study it, see how it arranges files, permissions, etc...
- configure your own TC 4.1.29 accordingly
- or just (carefully) "paste" 4.1.29 over existing 4.1.24 RPM install

Setting up TC correctly or, even more, building your own RPMs can be
very time
consuming. The layout of 4.1.24 RPMs seams OK to me. There is a site,
JPackage,
I think, which has newer RPMs, but they have moved other packages from
TC into
separate ones (JavaMail, JDBC-ext,...), so getting it all together is
not easy.
Plus they have their own dependencies, which I couldn't provide on
Mandrake.

Nixie.