Howdy,

>When I deploy the webapp into /webapps/ then start tomcat, I get the
>error below--not when it loads my webapp--but when it loads the
>tomcat-docs webapp...??  So I copy the commons-logging.jar and
>log4j.jar into /commons/lib/ dir and the problem goes away, but is that
>how things should be done?  But I really want to keep my webapps as
>self-contained as possible...  Any pointers?

There was nothing else in your message, i.e. no error. ;)

Tomcat 5 uses the commons-logging api a lot more than tomcat 4.  Tomcat
5 (and tomcat 4) don't use log4j directly (which I dislike, but that's
another story).

You shouldn't have to put log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar in
common/lib.  You should be able to deploy in a completely self-contained
manner: I have a bunch of applications using log4j deploying fine in
tomcat 5, without adding anything to common/lib, just log4j.jar in
WEB-INF/lib of each application.

Perhaps your error message will shed more light...

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.