Hello All,

I have what seems to be a unique problem. I have trawled through all the mailing lists but could not find a response.

My question is: Is it possible to setup mod_jk to do only failover clustering without load balancing? We have an application that does much internal caching and thus we do not want to do load balancing.

I have read through the documents and have 2 possible solutions:

1) We setup 2 worker like this:

worker.list=router
# Define a 'local_worker' worker using ajp13
worker.worker1.port=8009
worker.worker1.host=node1.domain.org
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.lbfactor=100000
# Define another 'local_worker' worker using ajp13
worker.worker2.port=8009
worker.worker2.host=node2.domain.org
worker.worker2.type=ajp13
worker.worker2.lbfactor=1
# Define the LB worker
worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balanced_workers=worker1,worker2

Notice the high lbfactor for worker 1 and low lbfactor for worker 2. Will this do the job?

2) We setup the same configuration like this:

worker.list=router
# Define a 'local_worker' worker using ajp13
worker.worker1.port=8009
worker.worker1.host=node1.domain.org
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.lbfactor=1
worker.worker1.local_worker=1
# Define another 'local_worker' worker using ajp13
worker.worker2.port=8009
worker.worker2.host=node2.domain.org
worker.worker2.type=ajp13
worker.worker2.lbfactor=1
worker.worker2.local_worker=0

# Define the LB worker
worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balanced_workers=worker1,worker2
worker.router.local_worker_only=0

From what I gather this will mean all new requests will go to worker1 as it is set as local and worker2 isnt. If worker1 is down, as we have set local_worker_only=0, all new requests will get forwarded to worker2.

Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.