> I checked the javadoc documentation for the Cookie class, and it doesn't
> seem to mention the default "life" of a Cookie object once sent to the
> browser. I'm inclined to think that the default is that it will live as
> long as the browser session does (especially because of your evidence).

It is.  I've been implementing cookies in my app.

> Try this:
>
> Cookie cookie = new Cookie("entId", eID);
> cookie.setMaxAge(cookie_life_in_seconds);
>
> res.addCookie(cookie);
>
> cookie = new Cookie("ognId", ignId);
> cookies.setMaxAge(cookie_life_in_seconds);
>
> res.addCookie(cookie);
>
> This is likely to extend the life of your cookies beyond the browser's
> session. Therefore, they will be sent in requests after the browser is
> restarted.

[OT]  Personally I think that being able to have a single name=value
attribute in a cookie is a bad idea.  I can't find anywhere that explains
the reason for this.  Anyway to get around this I have been looking at
formatting my cookie as:

name=lang:en;usr:grahamr;pswrd:fud;

and deencode the result afterwards.  Then you don't have to mess around with
lots of cookies.

G.