Baer Peter Christoph Alexander wrote:

Hi Jeanfrancois,

not that I want to deny my responsibility.
If I felt being able to do one of the patches,
I would not hesitate. I wouldn't post my thoughts
here, but the ready-made patches instead, of
course. ;-)

But: I think the only persons who really have the
knowledge required to create a migration stylesheet
are the Tomcat developers, as they are the only
persons knowing what tags there actually are, and
how they were changed over the time.
People like me could derive this kind of information
from a DTD or schema, but there is none...
Vicious circle, here! ;-)

But I'll think about starting the XSL-T migration
thing. Maybe we can persuade the Tomcat developers
to add there wisdom.

In fact, I think, it would be possible to start
very simple. The migration wouldn't be completely
done by the stylesheet, but some conversion would
already be done automatically, that has not to be
done by hand. Like removing Factory tags and
changing attribute name Protocol to sslProtocol.

What do you think? Do you think it could be done,
and lead to a really useful result? I'm optimistic,
but I'm only a Tomcat user, not a Tomcat developer,
and so I might overlook the big rock right in my

Yes, it could be done, but that needs a lot of works and as a developper, I have more "critical" things to do right now (and I'm sure most of the developper has). But I agree, we are very bad sometimes when "user experience" come into the picture (or I'm very bad...).....

-- Jeanfrancois

Regards
        Alex