>       Pfingstl Gernot wrote:
>       > If I define a resource in <GlobalNamingResources> (in server.xml) I
>       > can use this resource in my web-application only if I use
>       > <ResourceLink> in my context. So it seems to me it isn't possible to
>       > use a resource defined in <GlobalNamingResources> unless I permit the
>       > use with a <ResourceLink> in the context or the engine.
>       >
>       > Is this right??
>
>       Indeed. You can add the ResourceLink in a DefaultContext with 5.0, for
>       convinience, if, for example, you want to allow it in a whole virtual
>       host. I don't remember if I ported the feature and if it's also in 4.1.29.
>
>       > Is this behaviour specified somewhere or is it subject to change?
>
>       No, it's not subject to a change. I think it's implied: nowhere it is
>       written that global resources define stuff in the webapp naming contexts.
In http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/globalresources.html
there's the paragraph:
        <GlobalNamingResources ...>
          <Environment name="maxExemptions" value="10"
                 type="java.lang.Integer" override="false"/>
        </GlobalNamingResources>
        This is equivalent to the inclusion of the following element in the web
application deployment descriptor (/WEB-INF/web.xml):

        <env-entry>
          <env-entry-name>maxExemptions</param-name>
          <env-entry-value>10</env-entry-value>
          <env-entry-type>java.lang.Integer</env-entry-type>
        </env-entry>

The sentence above "...is equivalent..." can be interpreted in the way, that there no
ResourceLink is needed.

>       > This behavoiur is important to me, becaue I will explicitely permit
>       > (or deny) the access to a global resource per context. Its a security
>       > problem.
>
>       That's the reason behind the ResourceLink.

Thank you for your answer,
Gernot