Ah! If only you hadn't dropped the thread! Oh well, glad you got it sorted.

As for the commas, looks like you found a bug - although I would check that user_roles="admin" works for admin only as well.

Adam

On 12/11/2003 04:09 PM Dirk Griesbach wrote:
I traced the problem down to the 'user_role' entry in the database:
The role of the user used by the manager-app had role "admin,manager"
(like in 'tomcat-users.xml' in a memory Realm) which does not work.
Changing the user_role to 'manager' puts it......but now the admin-app using
the same user complains.

Maybe class
"org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm" works different than
"org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
regarding comma seperated roles ?

grisi
----- Original Message -----
From: Dirk Griesbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.0.16 : manager-app access

Hi Adam,

thanx for your hint, is there a FAQ or Readme on TC5 I missed ?

I moved the manager.xml to ...\conf\catalina\localhost.
It has the following content:
"
<Context path="/manager" docBase="../server/webapps/manager"
       debug="0" privileged="true">

  <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
</Context>
"
You're right, the Realm is defined in the server.xml:

"
<GlobalNamingResources>
<Resource name="UserDatabase"
                     auth="Container"
                     type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

           <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase" >
       </ResourceParams>
</GlobalNamingResources>
"
Unfortunately: no effect, "403 - Access to the requested resource has been
denied"
The admin-app still shows no entry in 'User database"

Is there something else that's worth having a look at ?

Dirk