Oops, you're right that line would not have compiled...I meant I use this:

DataSource ds = (DataSource) new
InitialContext().lookup(application.getInitParameter("db.jndi.dsn"));

...to get a datasource values and assumed the similar line would work for retrieving a
String:

String str  = (String) new
InitialContext().lookup(application.getInitParameter("myString"));

...but no dice.

God, why does it have to be so difficult to do something so simple.  I love Java for a
lot of reasons, but this kinda stuff makes me really curse it at times.  Ok, so you're
saying go and read JNDI documentation and hopefully once I understand JNDI inside and
out I can finally set a freaking application constant paramter?

"Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Howdy,

>I'm trying to do something as simple as define global constants for my
JSP
>application. In ASP there is a Global.asa file and the closest thing in
JSP
>is of course the web.xml file. I defined a value in my web.xml file
and
>assumed I could retrieve it using the following line:
>
>String test = (String) new
InitialContext().getAttribute("html.basepath");

>I've done something similar for Datasources that works just fine but
for
>some reason tyring to retrieve a basic String in a similar manner
doesn't
>work.
>
>Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

You're missing a lot. You should read the Servlet Specification,
specially the section on context parameters (context-param elements in
web.xml), which is what you will probably use for simple strings.

You should read the JNDI documentation for what a context (including
InitialContext) is. It doesn't have a getAttribute method, so I
seriously doubt this line of code even compiles, much less works for
datasources or any other type of JNDI resource. You could use a JNDI
context for simple strings, but that's usually overkill.

Yoav Shapira

may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This
saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an)
and notify the sender. Thank you.