From: Patrick Willart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 1:41 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Using Jikes as compiler for Tomcat 4.1 on Windows systems

Simple question. Is it possible or not? I use Jikes 1.18 and Tomcat 4.1.24.

Based from other posts I figured out that it's not possible to configure
Tomcat to use Jikes as JSP compiler because -encoding is not supported in
the Windows version of Jikes.

However out of different posts I get the idea that some people are able to
get it to work.

This is my error message:

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:

        [javac] Compiling 1 source file
        [javac] use: jikes [options] [EMAIL PROTECTED] file.java...
        [javac] For more help, try -help or -version
        [javac] Error: The option "-encoding" is unsupported in this build.

Note: 'jikes -help' doesn't show any help information on -encoding, but when
I give the command 'jikes -encoding' an error message is returned that
"-encoding" requires an argument.

This is how I have it configured in my conf/web.xml:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
            <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>compiler</param-name>