Hello Merrill

If you're still working on this tomorrow and you want to share your code I'd be
willing to walk it through.

Howard Watson
Database Administrator
Easter Seals-Goodwill Northern Rocky Mountain
4400 Central Avenue
Great Falls, Montana  59405
(406) 771-3759
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/31/03 14:59 PM >>>
I have been developing a JSP/servlet application using Tomcat 5.0.16.
Over the past months, I felt that I had learned enough (partially with
the help of this mailing list) about JSP, servlets, and Tomcat that I
could debug most of the obsticales that popped up.  Until this morning.

I  started addnig a new servlet several "levels" down. Suddenly, I
started getting the following error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException

org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteResponseFacade.sendRedirect(CoyoteResponseFacade.java:379)
        Timesheet.LoginServlet.doPost(LoginServlet.java:67)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:763)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

When I launch the application, the Tomcat HTML welcome page redirects
via a refresh to my login.jsp page via https.  That login page displays
properly.  When I fill in the login name and password and click on
submit, I immediately get the above exception.  The line number it
references is the following:

      response.sendRedirect(Util.MAIN_MENU_PAGE_URL);

where Util.MAIN_MENU_PAGE_URL is "/timesheet/mainMenu.jsp", a valid page
URL.

This sendRedirect() is the last thing the login servlet does after
validating the login and collecting information about the logged in user
from the database.  This has all been working for months.

The one time I got an illegal state exception before was when I
accidently did something like session.getAttribute() when the session
was invalid.  However,  the login servlet starts with

    HttpSession session = request.getSession(true);

which is the ONLY time it's called with a true argument.  I have also
verified that immediately before the call to sendRedirect(), both the
session and response variables have reasonable values.

Can any one suggest what I may have changed to suddenly get an illegal
state exception?

Merrill Cornish