To be sure your web.xml is correct, turn xml validation on. In server.xml, replace:

     <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

by

     <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      xmlValidation="true" xmlNamespaceAware="true">

That may help next time you see such problem.

-- Jeanfrancois

Patrick Scheuerer wrote:

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
OK, now that's the 3rd different version of the filter elements in your
web.xml ;)  You shouldn't have both servlet-name and url-pattern
children of filter-mapping, only one of them.

I tried to add the filters with the Struts Studio Web Deployment Editor just as another test. It's quite interesting: Struts Studio tells me that <servlet-name> is required. But in the DTD it says <servlet-url> OR <servlet-name>. So i guess that's a bug in Struts Studio. It also put the empty <servlet-name> element there although left the field blank...

Anyway, I tried it with the correct version like this
<filter>
    <filter-name>UserFilter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>ch.ctc.support.common.UserFilter</filter-class>
</filter>

<filter>
    <filter-name>AdminFilter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>ch.ctc.support.common.AdminFilter</filter-class>
</filter>

<filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>UserFilter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>