We are in the process of trying to migrate from a JRun 3.1/IPlanet
environment to Tomcat 4.1.29 and Apache 1.3.29 (with the mod_jk
connector), and we are running into some significant performance
problems.  We are running on Solaris 8.  Apache is tuned and compiled as
recommended by apache's tuning guide.

Without any real load on the machine, we see a large discrepancy in
response times between Tomcat/Apache and Jrun/Iplanet.  Running a simple
probe of a tiny test jsp - which simply adds 1+1 and displays the result
- we are seeing a request response time of 4ms with Jrun and 104ms with
Tomcat.  The same JVM is used for both, with the same command line
options.

Again, this is not a question about load tolerance.  We are hoping to
improve the "raw" response time of Tomcat/Apache to be closer to that of
Jrun/Iplanet (if possible).  Our server.xml and sample jsp are below.  A
100ms difference between the two environments seems like a lot for such
a simple request.

Thank you for any suggestions.

server.xml:
----------
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="150" acceptCount="10"
debug="0"/>
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0"
appBase="/tools/tomcat/webapps/retail"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
                <Context path="" docBase="htdocs" reloadable="false"
crossContext="true" debug="0">
                                <Resources
className="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
allowLinking="true" docBase="" />
                                <!--                            <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve" />  -->
                </Context>

        </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Example JSP used in test (adds 1+1):

<%@ page errorPage="/TRError.jsp" %>
<% com.xxx.util.TRUtil.addToPageHistory(session, ("/" +
this.getClass().getName())); %> <%= 1+1 %>

Chris Boyce