Hi,

Just add a mime mapping into tomcat/conf/web.xml

 <mime-mapping>
        <extension>xls</extension>
        <mime-type>application/msexcel</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
      <mime-mapping>
      <extension>ppt</extension>
      <mime-type>application/powerpnt</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

Restart tomcat...
And that should do the trick (done it many times).

Hope it helps
-reynir