If that is the case, it will be a loooong time until there will be a tomcat 5.1. Since tomcat 5 went through so many public betas and originated from fairly stable tomcat 4.1 code - the quality tomcat 5 "stable" release is quite good. There weren't really any showstoppers requiring a quick minor release. (Kudos to Remy!)

There was a discussion about tomcat 5.1, but there aren't really any reasons to branch to 5.1 as compared to just enhancing the 5.0 branch.

5.0.17 should be tagged very soon from talk on the dev list.

-Tim

epyonne wrote:
As a general rule of thumb, version X.0 always has some problem.  You have
to wait till version X.1 or X.2 to have most of the bugs fixed.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Gibby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 03:06 PM Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.1.29 versus Tomcat 5

Sorry about that last reply that had no message body..
Anyway, what about reliability, do you people who use the later versions
of 5.0.x find it as reliable as 4.1.x?

Thanks,

Daniel Gibby

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Daniel Gibby wrote:

Does anyone have a synopsis of reasons to move to or not to move to
Tomcat 5 from tomcat 4?

I've seen various reasons that moving will be beneficial, including
better session-replication support, and manager application
improvements, but how does 5.0 stand up as far as reliability is
concerned? I'm usually a little gun-shy at upgrading to anything
until most of the bugs are worked out. It could cost me thousands of
dollars a day to have my web apps be down.

First, you have to make sure your webapps run. You never know.

Then, TC 5 vs 4.1.29:
- is faster and generally more optimized
- has nice server monitoring
- has plenty of cleanups and small refactorings, to fix some of the
more complex 4.1.x bugs
- has JSP 2.0 (you may not care, but JSPs are actually nice now)

Note: 4.1.29 and 5.0.16 use the same connectors, so reliability of the
HTTP (or AJP) handling will be identical.